Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jane Johnston Schoolcraft


I have been working all winter on a children's book about Jane Johnston Schoolcraft who was from Sault Ste. Marie. She lived in the early 1800's and was quite a remarkable person. She was recently installed in the Michigan Women's Hall of Fame.

My question-are there others out there with an interest in Michigan history specifically of Sault Ste. Marie. I would love to hear from you and if you know of any interesting events coming up in the next year concerning Sault history.

1 comment:

Emily-Jane Hills Orford said...

I am interested in your proposed book on Jane Johnston Schoolcraft. I am working on the history of the Songs of the Voyageurs and I came across Jane's name as she is the daughter of John Johnston, a voyageur. Do you have a collection of Jane's poems. I'm looking for a poem that would somehow describe living in the outdoors, something similar to Emily Pauline Johnson's (a Canadian Mohawk poet of the same time period as Schoolcraft) poem, "The song my paddle sings".